Mileage from North Meade Street Park: 13.1
Surface: Paved trail and road
- Go through Rosslyn and across the Key Bridge.
- Take a sharp right after bridge down to the river side of C&O Canal.
- Left on C&O Towpath and QUICK right down steps to K St.
- Go right on K St. to trailhead of Capital Crescent Trail.
- Follow Capital Crescent Trail a little more than 5 miles until it crosses over Massachusetts Avenue. You will remain on the trail the whole time. Among the “landmarks” you will pass are: Fletcher’s Boathouse (near mile marker 8); bridge over the canal; the “Entering Maryland” sign (near mile marker 7) and the Dalecarlia tunnel (just past mile marker 6).
- It is important to pay attention so that you don’t miss Mass. Ave. The turnoff at Mass. Ave. is just before mile marker 5.0 and about a mile from the tunnel.
- Just before the trail crosses over Mass. Ave., there will be a dirt downhill trail on your right. Take that (short) trail down to the sidewalk and turn right. You are headed up Mass. Ave. toward the D.C. line.
- At the top of the hill, you will be at Westmoreland Circle. Go halfway around the circle counterclockwise (basically stay to the right) and make a right to continue on Mass. Ave.
- Continue on Mass. but make a quick right onto 49th St. It is the third right you can possibly make after the circle (and is after 50th St.!)
- From 49th St., make the fourth right onto Tilden St.
- Continue on Tilden St.–it curves around after Fordham Rd.–until it ends at an intersection with Rockwood Parkway.
- Make a left onto Rockwood Parkway and take that up the hill until you get to Indian Lane.
- Make a right onto Indian Lane and you will soon come to a big intersection. This is Nebraska Avenue.
- Cross Nebraska Avenue and bear right down Chain Bridge Road. It is a narrow, shady road with a very steep downhill slope and some really cool houses.
- When Chain Bridge Road hits MacArthur Boulevard, make a left onto MacArthur.
Take MacArthur back toward Georgetown. Be careful not to take Reservoir Road when you get near the Dalecarlia Reservoir–it is easy to get confused because the two of them meet and then divide again. If you are near the fence next to the water, you are in the right place.
- Once you hit Foxhall Road in Georgetown, MacArthur basically turns into Canal Road. Stay right when Foxhall meets MacArthur, but quickly cross to left side before heading down the hill.
- Stay on Canal Road (there is a sidewalk only on the left side heading in that direction) and it will turn into M Street at the Key Bridge. Be careful crossing M Street to go over the Key Bridge because there isn’t a crosswalk there.
- Take the Key Bridge back to Rosslyn.